In December 2016, Gov. Matt Bevin created the Work Ready Kentucky Scholarship Program to meet the increasing
demand for skilled workers in five of Kentucky’s fastest growing workforce industries:
The demand for trained workers is so great in these job areas that the Work Ready Kentucky Scholarship Program will give financial aid to eligible Kentuckians who have not yet earned at least an associate’s degree. In a short time, you can start a career with an industry-recognized certificate and start getting a great paycheck in one of these high-demand jobs.
There will be more than 84,000 job openings in Kentucky annually over the next seven years including:
- 390 practical nurses for an average of about $18.70 an hour. In 18 months, you can earn a diploma and start your nursing career.
- 1,117 welders at an average wage $18.26 hour. You can be on the job with a certificate in just 48 weeks.
- 460 automotive service technicians and mechanics can expect an average wage of $16.45 an hour with a 32-week certificate.
- 291 heating, air conditioning and refrigeration mechanics and installers can make an average of nearly $20 an hour. In just 48 weeks, you can start a career that has opportunities for growth with more education.
- 224 computer-user support specialists can expect an average of $20.76 an hour with only a 32-week certificate.
Find out what the high demand jobs are in the area where you live.